Friday, June 11, 2010



The world cup started today, and nobody cares. Well, that isn't entirely true. It is, after all, the most watched sporting event in the world, just not around here. 84,000 people gathered in Johannesburg's Soccer City stadium to watch Mexico and South Africa's opening game.
You'd think with all the wide open, flat land around, the people of Saskatchewan would get behind a game like soccer wholeheartedly. No one in my office, save graphic designer Gina, even blinked at the mention of the opening match. To make things more interesting, I proposed an office pool. Again, only Gina, who is a fan of Argentina, responded positively. I think, in order to make the event more interesting around here, I will take on the roll of rabid fan. Now all I have to do is pick a team. In '96 I was in France when the world cup started, so my allegiance fell naturally. Since then, they have continue to disappoint offensively, and after the whole irish handball incident I'm not sure my heart is in it.
With the first round of play already underway I don't have much longer to decide.
For the record, the opener ended in a 1-1 draw, with Mexico equalizing in the last 11 minutes of regulation play.

No comments:

Post a Comment