Monday, June 14, 2010

Gliding, and soaring of sorts.



This past week-end, the Spectator signed me up to accompany a local crew of cadets gliding. Gliding is done by towing an engineless plane 2000 feet up, and then letting her go.
The feeling is incomparable. Without the noise of an engine, there is a natural feeling of flight, quiet and serene. I didn't want to come down, and am now convinced I should have been a bird.
The only really terrifying part was releasing the rope that attached us to the tow plane- the plane with the engine. I'm not sure that my brain understood what was happening until the rope fell in front of me, thankfully the panic passed quickly.
Despite my protests, the pilot -seen below- set us down safe and sound.



Today, while on assignment, I snapped this photo of a an Ospry hunting with its mate (who refused to enter the same frame) over the Qu'Apelle Valley. I am no longer surprised by the natural beauty here, just frustrated it won't co-operate with my photographic capabilities.



Unrelated note: I will be cheering for Germany this World Cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment