Monday, June 7, 2010

Loader rides and Prairie fun.


Today, during research for a story, I can across this lil' tidbit from Stats Can. Apparently, 44 per cent of Canadian tourist responded that there is nothing worth seeing in the province of Saskatchewan. In fact, my beloved new home ranked the lowest of all provinces and territories.
Apparently, Saskatchewan Tourism isn't doing their job.
Saskatchewan may not have an big malls or giant nickels, but there are certainly things worth coming here for.
I may only be in my second week, but I have to say, the communities here are enchanting. Beyond the kindness of stranger, which there is a plenty, Saskatchewan in a beautiful place.
I've heard it referred to as the land of 1000 skies, which means very little until you see it for yourself. Each sunset and sunrise you can easily find a panoramic view of a natural light show that rivals the Northern Lights.
As I've gotten to see more of the province, my awareness of its natural beauty has grown. At the same time, I become more aware of how ignorant it was of me to assume that the 600,000 square foot province (10% of which happens to be water) was in anyway uniform.
Before I came here, my pre-30 bucket list tentatively included a cross-Canada Winnebago trip. After seeing the kind of communities that line the Trans-Canada, the idea is definitely a-go.
Proud indeed.

2 comments:

  1. I have two memories of Saskatchewan:

    1) I was leaving a restaurant and put my wallet on the roof of the car for some reason. I then drove off with said wallet still above me. It wasn't until I returned to the hotel when I realized that I had lost it. After an exhausting search, I finally found it on the highway. It was a bittersweet victory because, although all my credit cards were still there, some hooligan had stolen $40 in cash from inside. The moral of the story is Saskatchewan is littered with thieves.

    2) I was driving from Winnipeg to Regina. When I left, on the side of the road was a homeless man with a long white beard pushing a shopping cart. So then I was in Regina for a few days, and while driving around the city, lo and behold, who walked right past me? The same bearded homeless man pushing the shopping cart. So Sasketchewanites are very athletic, I'll give them that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Adam, don't lie, there was no cash in your wallet.

    ReplyDelete